The perception of flavour is perhaps the most multisensory of our everyday experiences. The latest research by neuroscientists increasingly reveals how the combination of gustatory, olfactory, and trigeminal stimuli gives rise to our flavour experiences. The course will introduce the main scientific concepts on flavour perception and will present the latest research findings on how multisensory integration influences the coffee drinking experience.
To see the FULL CONTENT, please click on "See Scheduled Course".
Module 1 - 12th Jun 2021, 4pm-6pm BST (British Summer Time: GMT+1):
1) How do we gain information about properties of foods and drinks.
2) The senses of gustation, olfaction, and oral somatosensation. From sensory receptors to the brain:
- GUSTATION: What is a primary taste? How does the gustatory system work?
- OLFACTION: What is a volatile compound? How does it stimulate the human olfactory system?
- ORAL SOMATOSENSATION: How do we perceive texture, temperature, and irritation? How does tactile sensation apply to beverages?
3) Expert coffee tasting and amateur coffee appreciation: Motivations for consumption.
Module 2 - 13th Jun 2021, 4pm-6pm BST (British Summer Time: GMT+1):
4) What does the colour red taste like? Multisensory integration, crossmodality, and the construction of the flavour experience by the brain.
5) The sensory repertoire: Flavour perception as anticipation and expectation:
- The construction of neural internal models: What is the ‘concept’ of a certain food?
- Memories and emotions: Mnemonic and affective processing of flavours.
6) Multisensory integration and coffee: Product intrinsic and extrinsic factors.
Please note that this course shares about 30% of content with the course ‘Multisensory Marketing and Specialty Coffee’.
Available anytime online
Hit register to view the course now.
Fabiana Carvalho is a Brazilian neuroscientist who received her MSc in Biochemistry and her PhD in...View Fabiana's profile
Create an account on the Coffee Knowledge Hub to save courses, articles and more.
© 2023 Coffee Knowledge Hub
Simonelli Group SpA
Via Emilio Betti, 1, 62020
Belforte del Chienti MC
VAT n. 01951160439