Knowing about the reaction kinetics during this process will help the Master of roasting to make decisions while creating the roasting curve. These decisions can involve the changes in the energy load, air flow, pressure and time of the different roasting phases. The course is based on the available scientific literature.
1) Introduction to the chemistry of coffee roasting: determining physicochemical factors (internal and external to the green bean).
2) Volume and porosity - The bean as a chemical reactor:
- cellular structure;
- internal pressure;
3) The chemically sensitive phases of the roasting process:
- Drying, Maillard and Development phases;
- The Maillard Reaction: The release of aromatic compounds;
- Strecker degradation: fruits and flowers;
- Caramelization of sugars: Sweet and roasted;
- Other reactions of interest.
4) Energy applied to the phases and the sensory profile modulation:
- Roasting mistakes: underdeveloped, cooked, burnt;
- Energy: concepts of thermodynamics;
- Effects of ROR on modulation.
5) Volatile compounds: classes, formation mechanism, olfactometer group and detection threshold.
No courses scheduled
This course has no scheduled dates. Browse our courses page for other great coffee courses.
© 2023 Coffee Knowledge Hub
Simonelli Group SpA
Via Emilio Betti, 1, 62020
Belforte del Chienti MC
VAT n. 01951160439