This live course covers the theory of multi-sensory flavour perception and then applies the theory in a series of cross-modal exercises. You will learn how your perception of flavour changes with the environment and how you can manage your environment to improve sensory perception.
Our everyday experiences are multimodal, that is, they involve more than one sensory modality. Despite not being aware, the perception of flavour is built up by our brains from the information coming from all the senses. This means that flavour perception goes way beyond taste and smell. Research in the field of consumer psychology tries to understand the mind of the consumers in order to grasp their motivations. The aim of the course is (1) to discuss the main aspects of coffee flavour, and (2) to present the contributions of factors that go beyond the quality of the coffee itself. Cups, packaging, and ambience influence flavour perception and choice of clients. In addition to good coffee, the specialty coffee market should also focus on how to enhance the multisensory product experience.
1) How do we gain information about properties of foods and drinks: Introducing the senses of gustation, olfaction, and oral somatosensation.
2) Perception as recognition: Bottom-up and top-down processing in the brain.
3) The sensory repertoire: Flavour perception as anticipation and expectation.
4) What does the colour red taste like: Multisensory integration, crossmodality, and the construction of the flavour experience by the brain.
5) Product intrinsic and extrinsic factors: The effect of cups, packaging, and consumption environment on coffee drinking experience.
1) Individual sensitivity to the basic tastes;
2) Effect of colours on the perception of basic tastes;
3) Demonstration of different qualities of mouthfeel (“body”) that can occur in coffee;
4) Oronasal demonstration: The metallic “taste”;
5) Demonstration of the effect of aromas on the perception of coffee overall flavour qualities;
6) The effect of extrinsic factors on the perception of coffee: Textures, sounds, and colours.
Lunch is included
Please note that VAT is chargeable on this course. The price, including VAT is 320 euro.
Fabiana Carvalho is a Brazilian neuroscientist who received her MSc in Biochemistry and her PhD in...View Fabiana's profile
© 2023 Coffee Knowledge Hub
Simonelli Group SpA
Via Emilio Betti, 1, 62020
Belforte del Chienti MC
VAT n. 01951160439